Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Journal 7: PLN

Networking is key to success.

If a person is sincerely dedicated to what they are doing, they will network as much as possible to make sure they are on the cutting edge and have learned as much as possible.

Teaching is an art to me - one that I must craft into a masterpiece. It will always be a work in progress, considering the constant advancements and that is why learning from others is so needed. As time changes so do our students, and their needs for learning change as well.

My public learning networks were a good experience. Some were better than others - nonetheless it was still a good experience. I joined Edmodo and made accounts for my students.  There was one student in my class, however, that no matter how many times I remind him to make sure to add us on Edmodo - he simply wouldn't. Therefore, I had to e-mail the class the assignment and then have a separate one emailed to him. Maybe he's afraid of technology, and I need to ease his way in... I don't know. Aside from that student, I found the students in my class really enjoyed getting an email with their project assignment.

Furthermore, I joined interest groups on Edmodo with other teachers and enjoyed their sample classroom projects and lessons. One thing that I found useful was a simple coding sheet one teacher had to help out his students, that was cool! I needed that for myself. Also, there's a teacher by the name of Mr. Kash that will help my 8th graders in Social Studies prepare for their History STAR test. I haven't shared my learning strategies and materials into that group yet, but I can see myself doing that in the near future. For now, I have read a lot of their articles and posts and have found them to be useful.

Furthermore, I added a twitter account for the private school I work at. I sent out a message to all the parents that we have one set up, and I gave our account name. Unfortunately, only 8 parents followed. With a school of 150 students, I felt that was disappointing. I guess twitter is good for larger facilities. In any case, I updated it for about a couple of weeks and kind of gave up on it. I will return to it from time to time for consistency, but it is not a network that works for everyone.

 On my own personal twitter, I did start following different teacher organizations or teaching groups. For example, I have grown to love "Extra Credit" - they really post some amazing technology resources on there.
As of right now, I haven't used any of the teachers' ideas in my classroom "yet"... but as I keep reading their posts and articles the more I am becoming comfortable learning from them and gathering insight into the ways that others teach and are successful at it.

My biggest failure was the RSS feeder. I would go to it from time to time, but it wasn't as fun as my daily routine of going to the websites that I like to go to. For example, I really like to check out aljazeera.com for news updates about what is happening in the middle east. My RSS feeder was filled with updates by them, and they had so many updates that I would have to scroll down in order to see any other updates from anyone else. Granted, I could have just deleted that off my RSS feeder, but I didn't. Also, I don't like that it is aesthetically dry, meaning, it looked like scrolling text. I love the graphics and ambiance of my websites and searching through them, and the RSS feeder, though convenient wasn't aesthetically pleasing.


In any case, networking is an imperative aspect of success. It allows the networker to learn new strategies, and it gives him/her access to information that he/she may not be able to get on her own or was not aware of. Public learning networks are a must for any professional who takes their career seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment