Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Journal 1: Part I: Getting Started

Robbins, J. (2012). Learning web design : a beginner's guide to HTML, CSS, Javascript, and web graphics. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly.
Summary Reflection:
The first three chapters of the book gave an overview of the language used in current technology, it discussed the way in which "the web" works, and the basic building blocks of web design. 
It is fascinating to see how the web, as we know it, is progressing and evolving. Flash is going on the decline as HTML5 is taking over, the format for our IP address IPv4 which can hold over 4 billion unique addresses is moving towards IPv6 so that it can take on trillions of numbers, not to mention device diversity from our desktop to our mobile device. We can only wonder what the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) will be looking over next!
Side Thought: Also, when I was reading about the diversity of devices, and how we need to keep in mind that when we design something it is going to be viewed from many different devices, there's a really neat website out that does a great job of helping us view how our final design will look both on mobile phones and desktops. It is called mailchimp.com, and it takes great care in making sure that whatever is designed on that site is accessible. I use it all the time for sending out newsletters to my students and parents - not to mention it lets me know who is opening my email and who isn't - that's the best part. :)
While reading about web accessibility for "everyone" the one thing that intrigued me was having Braille displays for the vision impaired. Just the thought of having something like that blew me away. 
Question #1: What does a braille display look like, and are schools with blind children required have this type of device available for students who are blind and what to participate in a computer course the rest of the students are taking?
According to http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm which is "A Guide to Disability Rights" I found out that section 504 states that Section 504 states that "no qualified individual with a disability in the United States shall be excluded from, denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under" any program or activity that either receives Federal financial assistance or is conducted by any Executive agency..." and that due this, a visually impaired student in the classroom has the right to be able to learn and access what other students are learning. As I kept searching the web, I found this very short article: Ensuring emerging classroom technologies are ADA compliant which pretty much explains that an educator in a government setting must make sure not to discriminate against any of her students, even with technology. 



Question #2: What's the difference between XML and HTML?
I read page 14 again, hoping it would become clearer, but it still didn't connect. I found my answer in this site:  http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_whatis.asp. Basically, XML transports data and focuses on what data is, and HTML displays data and focuses on what data looks like. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Diana,
    I enjoyed reading your summary. Your comment about a brail display intrigued me. Do you mean on a monitor? Is there really such a thing can exist! It’s hard to believe it’s possible, but so is 3-D printing! (I saw a 3-D printer in action at the Spring 2013 CUE conference!) I assume there are brail keyboards and read aloud options for people who are blind. I would love to know more about braille display!
    Lenora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,

    Thanks for looking up the Brail display. Its looks like a pop up display of brail that responds to the text on screen. Very cool thats for looking that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenora, I've learned about 3-D printing this year! It's so amazing.
    Eddie, oooh, is that how it works. Neat.

    ReplyDelete